EU Condemns Violence: Hundreds of Deaths Possible in Egypt

Supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi run from Egyptian security forces firing towards them during clashes in Cairo. Zoom
AP

Supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi run from Egyptian security forces firing towards them during clashes in Cairo.

Hundreds are believed to have been killed in a violent crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood protesters in Egypt on Wednesday. European officials are calling for an end to the violence and a return to talks.

Egypt on Wednesday sank ever-deeper into a state of violence and chaos. Fresh death tolls and numbers of people injured seemed to be released by the minute following the violent crackdown on sit-in protests conducted by supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi earlier in the day.

The country's interim vice president, Nobel Prace Prize recipient Mohamed ElBaradei resigned in response to the violence. In his resignation letter, he said he is not prepared to be held responsible for a "single drop of blood," and that only more violence will result, according to the Associated Press, which says it was mailed a copy.

At 4 p.m. local time, the interim government in Egypt imposed a one-month long state of emergency that will give security forces greater freedom to crack down on protesters, particularly when it comes to arrests and taking people into custody. The military is also likely to get more involved in the conflict, too.

No Reliable Death Toll

Due to the exceedingly chaotic situation on the ground, there is no precise indication of the current death toll. However, an AFP journalist on the scene counted a total of 124 dead bodies in Rabaa al-Adawiya square alone, where security forces engaged in a violent crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood protesters. News agency Reuters cited a nurse who claimed to have registered at least 60 dead. Egyptian officials claim that 149 have been killed across the country. On on Wednesday evening, medics and doctors at hospitals estimated that 1,400 have been injured, according to reports in the Egyptian state media.

Photo Gallery

14  Photos
Photo Gallery: Battles in Cairo
Among the dead is Mick Deane, a 61-year-old cameraman from the British television network Sky News. According to his employer, Deane suffered gunshots in Cairo and died from his injuries shortly thereafter. According to reports, several members of the Muslim Brotherhood have been arrested. Among them is Mohammed al-Beltagi, secretary general of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice party, whose 17-year-old daughter is said to have died during the conflict.

Earlier todayon Wednesday, security forces showered protesters with tear gas and rubber bullets, according to reports by several journalists who witnessed the altercations. They also reported the sound of gunfire, saying soldiers with machine guns fired on protesters using live ammunition. Images showed the deployment of bulldozers and armored vehicles to clear the sit-ins. Army helicopters could also be seen flying over the Rabaa al-Adawiya square sit-in in Nasr City in eastern Cairo and over the Nahda Square sit-in near Giza in the western part of the city. Thick smoke lingered over the camps and television images showed masked security forces firing at the crowd from rooftops.

'Don't Kills Us!'

Protesters threw stones and shot fireworks at approaching troops. And Islamist clerics and Muslim Brotherhood leaders called on their supporters in the camps to resist and to die as martyrs if they had to. One Muslim Brother standing at Rabaa al-Adawiya square called out to the army, "We are Egyptians, not Israelis. We are your brothers and sisters. Don't kills us!" They also called on all Egyptians to take to the streets to protest the army's actions.

In response to calls for protests, the government announced it would suspend train services across the country in what appeared to be an attempt prevent additional Muslim Brotherhood supporters from traveling to Cairo.

By late morning, both sit-in camps had been surrounded by security forces and at least one -- at Nahda Square -- was completely cleared. Some reporters on the ground claimed that access to the camps by medics had been hindered and that some journalists had been temporarily detained. One Reuters reporter claimed on Twitter that the content of journalists' cameras had been deleted by security forces.

News broadcaster Al-Jazeera reported that the Egyptian Interior Ministry has stated that at least seven people, including three members of the security forces, have been killed and that 78 have been injured. It also confirmed that 200 arrests had been made.

But reports on the dead and injured differ widely. Arab news channel Al-Jazeera is estimating 40 based on its sources. The Muslim Brotherhood is claiming that 300 people have been killed and more than 5,000 injured -- figures that could not be independently verified.

'Further Bloodshed Must Be Prevented'

Wednesday's developments are worrying because they mark an escalation in the power struggle between Egypt's military and the Muslim Brotherhood. Backers of the Muslim Brotherhood have been protesting since the putsch against President Morsi on July 3 and had barricaded themselves inside the two squares. They are demanding that Morsi be put back in power. In recent weeks, the army and the interim government had repeatedly warned protesters to clear the squares. The Muslim Brothers rejected such calls, and efforts to mediate by the United States and the European Union failed. Nevertheless, officials in the West are admonishing powerful Egyptian army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to renounce violence.

In Germany, Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told journalists: "Any further bloodshed in Egypt must be prevented." He called on the interim government to permit peaceful protests. He said Germany also expected the other political forces "to clearly distance themselves from violence, to not call for violence and to not act in violent ways." Westerwelle said the government in Berlin is "extremely worried" in light of the "very dangerous" situation in Egypt. He said Germany would continue to monitor the situation and work together with its international partners. "We are calling on all political forces in Egypt to immediately return to dialogue and to negotiations in order to prevent a further escalation in violence." He said such talks must include all political groups in the country.

In Brussels, officials with the European Union called for restraint by the Egyptian authorities. "The reports of deaths and injuries are extremely worrying," Michael Mann, a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said, according to the Associated Press. "We reiterate that violence won't lead to any solution and we urge the Egyptian authorities to proceed with utmost restraint," he said.

In recent days, the Egyptian government has been split over how best to deal with the Muslim Brotherhood protests. Some have been calling for forceful action to clear the sit-ins, while others have urged more peaceful methods, like cutting off access to water, electricity or food. On Wednesday, it appeared those pushing for a hard-line approach prevailed.

dsl -- with wires

Article...
  • For reasons of data protection and privacy, your IP address will only be stored if you are a registered user of Facebook and you are currently logged in to the service. For more detailed information, please click on the "i" symbol.
  • Post to other social networks

Comments
Discuss this issue with other readers!
3 total posts
Show all comments
    Page 1    
1. German vs. English Coverage
Jim in MD 08/14/2013
Your German lede reads, "Hundreds Dead," in stark contrast to the English lede. I appreciate the way that you serve English-speakers in the broader world, whose first language might be an African or Asian language or Arabic. Being a self-critical voice on German-speaking lands and offering critical reporting in the emerging world will win readers in the long run. SPIEGEL competes with Al-Arabiya, Al-Jazeera and Russia Today for readers tired of a Western angle.
2. optional
peskyvera 08/14/2013
What hypocrisy. Democratic elections are held but the wrong candidate wins and so the West turns nasty by supporting the coup. Now the EU condemns the violence...well, you encouraged it. Democracy only applies when/if the West likes the winning candidate.
3. Very Sad
danm 08/14/2013
My heart breaks for the innocents on both sides who will be the victims in Egypt's power play. This is a tragedy that will probably grow much larger and I honestly do not know how it can be stopped.
Show all comments
    Page 1    
Keep track of the news

Stay informed with our free news services:

All news from SPIEGEL International
Twitter | RSS
All news from World section
RSS

© SPIEGEL ONLINE 2013
All Rights Reserved
Reproduction only allowed with the permission of SPIEGELnet GmbH




Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery: 'Streetocracy' Reigns in Egypt

European Partners
Facebook
Twitter