Tens of thousands of German prisoners of war ended up in Soviet gulags during World War II. Thousand others were taken into custody as political prisoners after the war came to an end. Many of them ended up in the camp near the Siberian town of Vorkuta. In 1952, the camp held 40,000 inmates, some 3,000 of whom were women. This image from 1945 shows one of the cell blocks.