Photo Gallery Working Class Neighborhood Easterhouse

In just over a week, the British will vote in a referendum on whether the United Kingdom should remain a member of the EU. In Easterhouse, a working class neighborhood of Glasgow, potential voters are undecided.
1 / 5

Glasgow's blue collar Easterhouse neighborhood: Residents here appear to be undecided in the run-up to the Brexit vote. Although general Brexit polls ahead of the June 23 referendum show clear preferences against leaving the EU, voters in Easterhouse may vote in favor.

Foto: SPIEGEL ONLINE
2 / 5

"No fly tipping," or illegal throwing away of rubbish, reads this sign on the edge of the city. Trash bags, plastic cups and other garbage can be found often in the few strips of green in this Glasgow neighborhood.

Foto: SPIEGEL ONLINE
3 / 5

Broken windows and moldy walls: This Glasgow neighborhood also revolted during the failed 2014 vote for Scottish independence from Britain. In the constituency to which socially disadvantaged Easterhouse belongs, over 25,000 people voted to leave Britain compared to 19,000 who were against it. The final election results looked a lot different in much of Scotland, where a total of 55.3 percent of voters cast ballots against leaving and 44.7 percent for independence.

Foto: SPIEGEL ONLINE
4 / 5

"Our country already has enough problems," says resident Lisa Hotchkiss. "It's better for all of us to stick together." That's why the 32-year-old says she will definitely vote against Britain leaving the EU. But she also knows that not everyone in the working class neighborhood where she grew up shares her view.

Foto: SPIEGEL ONLINE
5 / 5

Urban gloom at the Shadwick Square Shopping Centre: Half the sign on The Centaur, a pub, appears to have fallen off.

Foto: SPIEGEL ONLINE
Die Wiedergabe wurde unterbrochen.