Analysis of the Love Parade Tragedy The Facts Behind the Duisburg Disaster
Part 5: How Many Police Officers Were in Duisburg?
There's no agreement on the estimates of the number of police present in Duisburg on the fateful day. SPIEGEL ONLINE has learned that a total of 2,200 police were at the event. But the Interior Ministry of North Rhine-Westphalia has put the number at 4,000. The Duisburg police say it was 3,000. In any case, the number of officers on hand seems low in relation to the hundreds of thousands of visitors, especially because many of them are believed to have been intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. The atmosphere had been explosive from the start, one officer told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "Many ravers seemed high," he said.
- Part 1: The Facts Behind the Duisburg Disaster
- Part 2: Why Was There Such Congestion?
- Part 3: Did Communications Break Down?
- Part 4: How Big Was the Crowd?
- Part 5: How Many Police Officers Were in Duisburg?
- Part 6: Prior Warnings
- Part 7: Accusations Against the Mayor
- Part 8: How Did the Victims Die?