Analysis of the Love Parade Tragedy The Facts Behind the Duisburg Disaster
Part 8: How Did the Victims Die?
According to Hannelore Kraft, the new governor of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, all the victims were crushed to death. "All 20 victims (editor's note -- the death toll has since been revised up to 21) died of compression to the chest, of a crushed chest," she said on Tuesday. Those findings refuted initial claims that the deaths had been caused by falls from a narrow staircase leading up from the ramp. Sauerland had suggested that people had been killed by falling.
- Part 1: The Facts Behind the Duisburg Disaster
- Part 2: Why Was There Such Congestion?
- Part 3: Did Communications Break Down?
- Part 4: How Big Was the Crowd?
- Part 5: How Many Police Officers Were in Duisburg?
- Part 6: Prior Warnings
- Part 7: Accusations Against the Mayor
- Part 8: How Did the Victims Die?