Neo-Nazi Killings Terror Trio's Network May Have Been Bigger
The National Socialist Underground (NSU), the right-wing terrorist cell uncovered by chance in 2011, may have had more supporters than previously thought.
Members of a parliamentary committee investigating the failure of the security services to track down the neo-Nazi killers for over a decade received a list on Friday containing the names of 129 people believed to have been part of the network surrounding the terrorist trio, Bild am Sonntag newspaper reported on Sunday.
The list had previously contained some 100 people who were believed to have been in contact with NSU members Uwe Böhnhardt, Uwe Mundlos and Beate Zschäpe.
"It's a list of people who were in contact with the three and is constantly being expanded, though originally it was known as the Hundred List," Wolfgang Wieland, a lawmaker for the opposition Greens party on the investigative committee, told SPIEGEL ONLINE.
Another committee member, Eva Högl of the opposition Social Democrats, said: "I welcome the fact that the number has been increased and that attempts are being made to find out how big the support network really was."
It is unclear whether the people were active supporters or just had contact with the three neo-Nazis.
The NSU is alleged to have murdered nine immigrants of Turkish and Greek origin and one German policewoman between 2000 and 2007, and to have committed other crimes including a nail bomb attack in 2004 in a district of Cologne where many Turkish immigrants live, injuring 22 people.
Mundlos and Böhnhardt committed suicide after a botched bank robbery in November 2011. The landmark trial of Zschäpe and four alleged accomplices starts on April 17 in Munich.
Zschäpe has been charged with being an accessory to the murders and bomb attacks carried out by the NSU, as well as arson, founding a terrorist organization and facilitating robbery.